Wednesday, August 30, 2006

my story with computers


Before I came to the US, I always paid money to surf on the Internet. I did my undergraduate in a language university and at that time I thought it was just so natural for a language university to be lagged behind in tech. resources. Actually during my undergraduate years (1993-1997), I rarely used computer. It was such a luxury then and I could never afford to buy a computer myself and I do not think there were many computers on campus. I remembered clearly I struggled so hard to find a computer since my foreign teacher asked us to type our project. I borrowed a typewriter and since I was so bad at typing, I handwrote the assignment neatly and submitted that. After I went to work, the university I worked in was technologically advanced compared with most universities in China. I was so proud when I could teach in a multi-media classroom where the instructor had a Dell computer. It was the first time for me to use audio-visual tools-PPT to teach. Only a few universities are so well equipped. Even after I came to the US, I was proud that I could create PPT documents. Of course soon I found it was nothing.

After I came to the US, I was so impressed by the easy availability of the computers and Internet services. I had never seen an apple computer before, so I hated it since I could not figure out how to use it. To me, BGSU is so supportive in tech stuff. Students can have free computer classes learning word, excel, dreamweaver, photoshop, flash etc. It gives people so much freedom and chance to develop their skills. I learned how to use library resources, how to use some softwares and did make some family videos. To me, a student with language background, these are really great technology achievements.

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger David said...

Technology remains a wow with me as well. It is so strange to think of writing and researching books pre-1997 and pre-Internet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home